Seventeen years ago I became interested in DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone, undoubtedly the single most important hormone indicating your life energy or stress reserves. My first intuitive hit was to use natural progesterone. It worked well, raising DHEA up to 100% over baseline (average 60%). But if you start with a level of only 150ng/dl, even 300 is still well below optimal (550 to 980 in women; 750 to 1250 in men). A French Professor of Endocrinology wrote that there is no pathway for converting progesterone to DHEA. Fortunately my patients and I do not know that there is no pathway as it works well in over 85% of people. Of course NOTHING is 100% the same in all people.

The next insight was the Ring of Fire, stimulated with the SheLi TENS. This also raised DHEA an average of 60%. It also has been remarkably useful in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, migraine, diabetic neuropathy and depression. Again the Ring of Fire raises DHEA in only 85% of people. And it markedly improves 70 to 80% of individuals with those problems mentioned.

The about 10 years ago I discovered Methyl Sulfonyl Methane, MSM. When oral supplements of MSM failed to raise DHEA in half of the subjects, I learned those who got a rise in DHEA had taken vitamin C. In other words, neither vitamin C nor MSM work ALONE. This led to my YOUTH FORMULA, which contains the optimal combination of MSM, vitamin C, molybdenum, and beta glucan. Another 60% to 100% increase in DHEA—in at least 85% of people!

Finally, we learned that transdermal magnesium raises DHEA, while oral and intravenous magnesium does not. Thus my Magnesium Lotion adds another 60% average increase to DHEA. Does it work in everyone? Of course not but it is effective in at least 85% of people

These four techniques are all helpful to most people in reversing the significant decline in DHEA as stress and wear and tear deplete us. All are simple and effective for almost everyone, together raising DHEA an average of 250 to 300% over starting levels. This is the best approach for most people. TAKING DHEA is NOT recommended as it may initiate indolent cancer. But rejuvenating your adrenal glands’ ability to make DHEA seems optimal for enhancing immune function and well-being. Of course about 15% of individuals will fail every known approach, not only to raising DHEA but also to most therapeutic interventions. On the other hand, 85% success is FAR better than any drug!! Of course, happiness, deep relaxation, sunshine, exercise and a healthy sex life help also. For more information on any of these approaches, review the archived newsletters. And in December look for my new book LIFE BEYOND 100—SECRETS OF THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH. We will give a 15% discount on any order to Self-health Systems, if you send in a receipt for a purchase of this book at any bookstore or Amazon.

Of course healthy habits in general are also crucial. If you follow this advice and keep your free radicals low, you are following the ideal YOUTH FORMULA.

Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D. is the father of holistic medicine from the Shealy-Sorin Wellness Institute.

Skip to content