SUBTLE ENERGY ?
C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D.
A review of
THE SUBTLE BODY-An Encyclopedia of Your Energy Anatomy
Cyndi Dale, Sounds True, Boulder, 2009
Actually there is nothing but energy—light, sound, magnetic energy
The fundamental substance of everything in the universe. The nonphysical factors of our lives are energetic in nature. Energy is characterized by vibration and the impulse to move.
the ability to do work, such as making things move and heating them up. Energy can take many forms, including electrical, chemical, radiant, mechanical and heat.
- (physics) a thermodynamic quantity equivalent to the capacity of a physical system to do work; the units of energy are joules or ergs; “energy can …
- forceful exertion; “he plays tennis with great energy”; “he’s full of zip”
- enterprising or ambitious drive; “Europeans often laugh at American energy”
- an imaginative lively style (especially style of writing); “his writing conveys great energy”; “a remarkable muscularity of style”
- a healthy capacity for vigorous activity; “jogging works off my excess energy”; “he seemed full of vim and vigor”
- any source of usable power; “the DOE is responsible for maintaining the energy policy”
The use of the word “energy” in psychological studies is comparatively new, although it was in use in psychological thought long before the modern physical concept of energy was fully developed, as a general descriptor of the forces that powered mental processes. …
The term Energy has been widely adopted into the fields of spirituality, complementary medicine etc. to refer to a variety of forces, known and unknown, measurable and immeasurable, actual and putative, physical and spiritual, often, though not always, conceived as “fields” or subtle forms …
Nome of these definitions taken from the web adequately works for “Subtle Energy.”
Long before anything related to Newton or later versions of physics, long before anything that could remotely be called science, naturalists had seen and described the intrinsic energy of living and inanimate objects. Even before acupuncture was developed about 4500 years ago, Indian intuitives had described chakras-focal areas of increased “energy” or prana associated with physical are of the body, mostly alone the spine. Seers have “seen” these centers as well as the “aura” of the body as a whole. Different esoteric traditions also describe layers of energy “fields” such as Etheric, astral, mental, spiritual, etc. Many of the energetic practices, such as acupuncture, Reiki, reflexology, etc, ?interact with this inherent energy, described as prana, Qi, Chi, Ki, orgone, life energy, etc. And of course spirit and soul are aspects of the subtle energetic universe. THE SUBTLE BODY is truly an encyclopedia that covers the field far more comprehensively than anything I have seen.