|QUERCETIN—For all men and for anyone who needs immune enhancement
C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D.
Quercetin is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory natural product found especially in apples, red onions and tea. It is metabolized into one of the broad family of quinones, my favorite of which is ubiquinone or C0-Q 10. Incidentally, several people have asked me why I do not suggest ubiquinol instead of ubiquinone. The answer to that one is simple—over 90% of the excellent research has been on just good old Co-Q 1O and it is MUCH less expensive! No contest!
Now the greatest news about Quercetin itself. It is especially powerful in reducing the symptoms of chronic prostatitis—a problem affecting all too many men. Quercetin has shown also to be helpful in many forms of cancer, but especially in prostate cancer.
Effective immediately, I am revising my recommendations for all men over 50:
- Saw palmetto, 160 mg, double strength extract, 4 daily. With ANY prostate symptoms, increase gradually up to 12 daily if needed to control symptoms or PSA. Incidentally, an excellent urologist told me recently that the so-called upper limit of 4 for PSA is ONLY for men up to age 40! By 50 years of age, it can be 5 and by 70’s, 6! No need to worry about a PSA not above 6 at 70+ years of age and asymptomatic! He says most urologists use the non-age “normative” of 4 because they make much more money doing biopsies! BEWARE!
- Nettles, 500 mg 2 daily and increase to 4 if any symptoms
- Quercetin, 500 mg. 2 daily. Increase to 4 with symptoms
- Calcium-D-Glucarate, 500 mg twice daily with any symptoms or PSA above 4
- Kegel exercises, 1000 per day
- Empty the prostate a minimum of twice a week and more is better
Remember it is for EVERYONE needing immune enhancement!!