POISONS AROUND YOU
I have written before about the ubiquitous poisoning of the world. So did Rachel Carson many decades ago. Each decade it gets worse. Overall it is a toss up as to whether the world will ultimately be most damaged by the 550,000 chemical poisons released indiscriminately each year, or by nuclear contamination. I remember well national articles over 40 years ago about the carcinogenic chemicals in city water produced by chlorination of water. Two days later, no further commentaries! Thus, it goes throughout the decades – an occasional nationally prominent mention of the harm increasing to animals as well as people. A minimum of 75% of cancer is related to environmental poisons! BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 328: 447-451, 2004.
In October, 2006, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC carried one of the most graphic discussions of the situation. David Duncan spent a year evaluating the toxins accumulated in his body and wrote a great article in The NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.
The major groups of poisons include:
- Asbestos – widely used in the first ? of the 20th century – increasing cancer and lung scarring. Found in insulation of floors, ceilings, heat and water ducts and pipes.
- Chloroform – increasing cancer, gonad damage, birth defects, liver and kidney damage, etc. Found in water and food.
- Chlorine – increasing damage to every organ, it is just pure poison. Found in city water, household cleaners, air near paper mills, etc.
- Dioxins – increasing cancer, gonadal damage, developmental disorders, excessive body hair, liver damage, death. Found in animal fats from our industrialized meat production!
- Heavy metals, aluminum, arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury – increasing cancer, brain and nerve damage, Alzheimer’s, anemia, immune weakness, blood vessel and heart damage. Found in drinking water, fish, vaccines, pesticides, antiperspirants, building construction materials, dental amalgams, wood preservatives.
- Fungus Among Us – molds are one of the major causes of allergies, They increase asthma, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis. Found everywhere, in food, wheat, corn, alcoholic beverages, buildings, etc.
- Phthalates – increasing severe endocrine damage. Found in plastic – wrap, bottles, food storage containers, etc.
- Polychlorinated biphenyls—PCB’s – increasing cancer and brain damage. Found in farm raised salmon and older plastics.
- Pesticides – increasing cancer, Parkinson’s, miscarriage, birth defects, neurological damage. These are present in well over 50% and perhaps 95% of fruits and vegetables!!
- Volatile Organic Compounds, VOC’s – increasing cancer, memory loss, eye and lung damage. Found in drinking water, carpets, paints, deodorants, varnish, cosmetics, dry cleaned clothes, air fresheners, cleaning fluids.
HOW TO COPE/AVOID POISONS:
- Avoid processed foods – over 60% of your friendly grocery store’s products!
- Eat truly organic foods when possible
- Eat only Alaskan salmon and halibut
- Use natural cleaning products—like REAL soap, etc.
- Avoid DEET – use Neem gels
- Have all silver/mercury fillings removed by a trained dentist
- Avoid artificial air fresheners, dryer sheets and fabric softeners
- Avoid MSG, aspartame, Splenda, pop, margarine, trans-fats
- Avoid toothpastes and shampoos with aluminum sodium lauryl sulfate. Tom’s ''natural'' has either aluminum or sodium lauryl sulfate!
- Xyliwhite is a great toothpaste gel
- Jason shampoos are best
- Avoid deodorants with aluminum
- Avoid baking powder with aluminum
- Avoid aluminum cookware; use glass, pottery, stainless steel or cast iron
- Avoid plastic containers
- Avoid microwaves
- Use glass containers
- Get a good filter for your home water system, removing at least all chlorine and fluoride
- Get plenty of safe sunshine
Pass this to all your contacts and encourage them to sign up for YOUTHFUL AGING, the free health and longevity newsletter. www.normshealy.com.