As fall progresses, the flu season is ”expected.” The latest threat is avian flu, for which there is no vaccine. And, just recently, a report stated that flu vaccines had minimal benefit on the most vulnerable, the elderly. But, of course, in every epidemic majorities of people do not become ill. The key is to keep your vitality and immune system optimally healthy. Here are the key ingredients to a strong immune system.
- A positive attitude. Nothing is more important. You cannot afford the luxury of depression, anxiety, or fear. Avoid watching the news. It rarely has GOOD news. I check the headlines in the NY TIMES. I read very few of the articles. Reading the news is far less negative than watching it! Laugh a lot. Watch GOOD comedy or listen to old comedy programs. Sing and chant. It is good for the immune system.
- Excellent nutrition, emphasizing fresh fruits and vegetables, Alaskan fish, range-fed chickens. Incidentally most canned pink salmon is wild Alaskan salmon. Blueberries, pomegranates, and cherries are super. Fresh oranges and apples, not frozen concentrates, are also good. Avoid sugar and starches.
- Build up to a sauna or hot soak daily. Apply castor oil on the abdomen and magnesium lotion liberally before either. Heat enhances immune function remarkably better than virtually any other activity.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise! Build to a minimum of an hour daily. Outside when possible. Get at least 15 minutes of sunlight on your skin daily.
- Avoid coffee and cigarette smoke.
- A glass of wine daily is fine
- If you wish to take flu shots, insist on having them intradermally, 0.1 cc, once a week for three weeks. At least this will not produce flu-like symptoms.
- At the mere suggestion of a sore throat, take Zinc lozenges up to 4 daily. The generic brands are fine.
- If you are prone to viral infections or frail, be sure you take the following:
Youth Formula, 4 daily (vitamin C and MSM, with glucan and molybdenum)
Essentials, 2 to 4 depending on weight
Glucan one teaspoon twice daily
Glutamine, one teaspoon three times a day
Vitamin D 3, 2000 units daily
- Add the other three natural techniques for enhancing normal production of DHEA, Eugesterone cream, magnesium lotion and stimulation of the Ring of Fire-all discussed in earlier newsletters.
- Keep occilococcinum, a homeopathic preparation, on hand. Try it first for several hours if flu symptoms develop. Just a few pellets under the tongue, each hour.
- Keep in your freezer at least 10 ramantadine pills. If you are significantly exposed to someone with flu, take one daily for several days. If you are unequivocally having flu symptoms and occilococcinum fails to stop symptoms within a few hours, take two ramantadine daily for 5 days.
- If flu sets in, take a castor oil bath daily. See earlier newsletter on the Palma Christi.
- Drink at least two quarts of non-chlorinated water daily. Make at least two cups of this as hot lemon tea.
- Love your life and your body!
C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D. is the father of holistic medicine. Register to receive his book 90 Days To Self-Health free.