Salvia – to save. Salvia Hispanica has been eaten for over 5000 years and may be the single best all-around food! Just as one can theoretically live on fish alone, blood and milk (as some tribes do), one could obtain a healthier and more sustaining life by consuming nothing but salvia. It contains 19 amino acids, including all essential amino acids, except taurine, which is considered conditionally essential.
Salvia H., better known as chia, also has more quality food value than any other known food, including:
- More iron than spinach
- More vitamin C than oranges
- Better protein than beans, soy, or peas
- More omega-3’s than flax or salmon
- More calcium than milk
- More potassium than bananas
- More antioxidants than blueberries
- And many more!
Chia seeds are tiny black or white seeds that contain significant soluble fiber and quickly absorb 5 to 10 times their weight in water, producing a weak gelatinous, neutral-tasting nutritious drink. Chia is an annual herb of the mint family, grows about one meter tall, and has purple or white flowers that mature into clusters of the highly-nutritious seeds. The seeds contain 20-23% protein, 34% high-quality oil (mostly Omega-3’s), 25% terrific fiber and significant levels of antioxidants. There are no known toxic components of chia.
This ancient tonic coats the stomach, slows digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, and it has one of the broadest scientific benefits of any food, including:
- Decreased GERD
- Weight loss
- Lower blood sugar levels
- Lowered insulin sensitivity
- Improvement in diabetes
- Lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure
- Decreased High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein
- Decreased gaseousness
- Better energy and endurance
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved colonic health
Recently there have been several companies promoting only white chia seeds, but analysis of the two shows no significant difference in the quality of protein, omega-3’s or calcium. At one time, ridiculous prices of almost $30 per pound were being pushed. Today’s prices are well under $10 per pound (2020). Since Salvia H. does not go rancid, I strongly suggest you invest in enough to give it a good test. Add this nutritional health powerhouse to your diet. Incidentally, it contains no gluten and can be added to any recipe.
Suggested uses for chia:
- Two tablespoons in a glass of water or juice. Let sit for 10 minutes and stir well before drinking. Start your day with this. For those who are overweight or those with diabetes, I strongly recommend doing this before each meal
- Add to home-made granola, breads, porridge, soups, etc.
- Blenderize or grind the seeds and add to any dish. Or even use the flour for pastries! It can even be used to coat chicken or fish before baking
- Use as a snack instead of anything else or mix with nuts
- Add to lemonade or any other drink
Salvia Hispanica may well save your life and make it much healthier! Enjoy!
Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D. is the father of holistic medicine. He recommends autogenic focus (the basis of the Biogenics System) as part of your overall commitment to self-health. Register to download your FREE autogenic focus MP3 now.